Monday, January 16, 2012

The Last Airbender

Actors:  Noah Ringer, Dev Patel, Nicola Peltz, Jackson Rathbone, Shaun Toub, Aasie Monovie    
Rating:  6 out of 10, a really ambitious movie that was obviously aimed at being the first of a series of movies with these characters.  I’m assuming this premise was based on the financial success of this movie which was incredibly poorly reviewed, somewhat correctly.  I liked the plot although it seemed to lose its way several times.  The dialogue was so puerile as to be memorable for unintended humor.  The ending confrontation was so confusing and staged that the movie lost all of its reason.  I remember being excited to see this movie when I first saw the previews.  I think that is the problem, it was marketed as a sword and sorcery epic when it is in reality a kid’s adventure movie.  The cast is adequate although Rathbone is one of the worst actors I’ve seen in a long time, made it hard to root for him as one of the heroes.  Ringer was impressive in the title role and handled the physical challenges with grace.
MVP:  Toub as the kindly mentor general Iroh

No comments:

Post a Comment