Sunday, January 22, 2012

Insidious

Actors:  Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, Barbara Hershey, Lin Shaye
Rating:  9 out of 10, absolutely terrifying movie.  I haven't been this scared at a movie since the Exorcist.  Even after multiple viewings this movie has the ability to scare the living bejesus out of me.  I was watching this at night and was a little upset when my wife went upstairs instead of being close enough to hear her, even the dog deserted me.  The tension starts from almost the first scenes and ramps up throughout, right to the last scene.  The cast is spot on and the special effects just sophisticated enough to make you believe it could be happening.  This movie also has the single scariest scene I've ever experienced and I love horror movies.  The director takes a very measured approach in revealing the main antagonist, the red faced demon.  You only see him in the shadows until this one scene where he suddenly appears in full color right behind one of the people talking around the dining room table.  This still almost stops my heart every time I see it.  This is the first movie in a very long time where I was actually tempted to close my eyes.  If you love horror movies and you haven't seen this, you are incomplete. 
MVP:  Rose Byrne as the suffering wife/mother Renai, who actually reacts to the horror the way most people would instead of dismissing it, such as happens in most horror movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment