Thursday, January 19, 2012

Kick Ass

Actors:  Aaron Johnson, Chloe Grace Moretz, Nicholas Cage, Lyndsy Fonseca, Mark Strong, Christopher Mintz-Plasse,  Michael Rispoli
Rating:  10 out of 10, boy do I love this movie.  A lot like the way I found the movie Stardust, it totally snuck up on me.  I really appreciate it when a movie sets something up and then takes you in a completely unexpected direction.  This movie constantly does that.  Every time you expect the plot to follow a lead they have set up, off we go in another direction.  This is the story of a high school geek who wants to be a super hero who quickly gets in way over his head but meets up with some real world heroes bent on taking down a mob.  I have watched this movie a dozen times and I can't get enough of it.  Everybody in the cast delivers, even Cage, who normally mails in his performance for this type fare.  The young actors are especially good in this led by Moretz who is so good as the foul mouthed but extremely dangerous Mindy MacReady AKA Hit Girl.  I also loved the interplay with the bad guys, Strong is such a compelling actor.  The give and take between he and Rispoli, another of my favorite character actors is priceless.  The best part of the movie is the arc they take the hero on.  Johnson and especially Fonseca make a great couple, if totally unexpected.  The scenes with the teenagers plays so real.  I can't say enough good things about this movie, it is definitely in the top ten movies I have ever seen.  If you have not seen it you are derelict. 
MVP:  Chloe as Mindy, one of the most surprising and dangerous 11 year olds you'll ever see

No comments:

Post a Comment