Sunday, February 17, 2013

Swiss Family Robinson

Actors:  John Mills, Dorothy Maguire, James MacArthur, Tommy Kirk, Sessue Hayakawa, Kevin Corcoran
Rating:  8 out of 10, This was one of the defining movies of my early life.  I think as a very young child I realized I absolutely loved movies when I saw this Disney classic at the venerable Scenic Theater in Keene, NH.  The theater had a huge billboard over the entrance and I clearly remember a movie poster showing the race involving an ostrich jockey.  Most of all I remembered a thrilling adventure film that captured my imagination the way few films ever did.  Everything is geared towards a young viewer – you can sense the presence of Walt Disney behind the filmmaking.  The ship wreck, the recovery, the best tree house in movie history, and the final battle against the pirates – it has everything a young boy would love.  It seems I’ve got a bit of that young boy in me still because I still absolutely love this movie. 
MVP:  MacArthur as Fritz in his pre-Dan-O days, the big brother we all hoped for

No comments:

Post a Comment