Thursday, February 21, 2013

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Actors:  Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Peter Lorre, Paul Lukas
Rating: 7 out of 10, More nostalgia as I kept up my streak of Disney movies that captured my heart as a very young boy.  This one has aged a little better and it was interesting to see a young, fit Kirk Douglas – a true action movie star.  The special effects are not top notch by today’s standards but hold up okay (expcetop for the giant squid).  This is amazing considering this movie was made in the early 1950’s and is older than I am.  The story itself still holds up.  This is the classic Jules Verne tale about the voyages of the Nautilus and Captain Nemo.  James Mason plays Nemo with his typical English reserve and creates a multi-leveled character that you’re not too sure about rooting for or condemning.  I still enjoyed the film although it does drag (a lot) wondering at the mysteries of the deep (this was pre-Cousteau).  This movie was such a huge deal to a young me that when I finally got to Disney world as a college aged kid the most memorable moment was riding in a Nautilus replica (yeah – I know – total geek). 
MVP:  Douglas as harpooner Ned Land reminding us what a great athlete he was as a young man

No comments:

Post a Comment