Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Crimson Pirate

Actors:  Burt Lancaster, Nick Kravat, Torin Thatcher, Eva Bartok
Rating:  7 out of 10, if you had asked a fourteen year old version of myself what my favorite movie was I would have enthusiastically endorsed this movie.  I saw this as a very young boy and was captivated by the comedic adventure with Lancaster and Kravat showcasing their impressive physical talents.  Because of his long career it’s easy to forget what a great athlete Lancaster was.  The movie has suffered over time and didn’t hold the same magic for the middle aged version of myself but it still resurrected some very fond memories.  It was kind of appropriate that I watched this on a snowy Saturday afternoon.  The plot is completely nonsensical with Lancaster playing a pirate captain who falls in love with a captive and then has to lead a revolution on a Caribbean island.  When I was a kid I thought the many different inventions used for the revolution were so cool but now they just seemed kind of silly.  Bartok was very memorable and Christopher Lee appears in a small role as well.
MVP:  Lancaster as the charismatic Captain Vallo – “Gather Round Boys!”

No comments:

Post a Comment