Friday, December 28, 2012

Please Don’t Eat The Daisies

Actors:  Doris Day, David Niven, Janis Paige, Patsy Kelly, Jack Weston, Richard Haydn
Rating:  7 out of 10, I received a bunch of Doris Day movies for Christmas and my wife chose this as the first to see.  It was shot when Day was at the height of her fame and she is incredibly good in this as the housewife mother of four young boys to theater critic husband Niven.  I always admired Day for not shying away from playing mother roles and she seems very at ease with the young actors playing her sons.  She and Niven are an interesting couple with Niven’s cool Englishman paired with Day’s American wholesomeness.  The plot revolves around the forced move to the country from their Manhattan apartment and Niven’s struggle to adapt to being one of the most important theater critics.  There’s not a lot happening in this film but I didn’t mind as it did have two of the iconic actors from the films of my youth at the height of their careers.  I really enjoy seeing the changes we’ve all undergone since this much different time. 
MVP:  Day as Kate MacKay the quintessential 1960’s housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment