Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Bourne Legacy

Actors:  Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz, Edward Norton, Stacey Keach, Scott Glen
Rating:  8 out of 10, I kind of wondered when they first broke the news about another Bourne movie, this one without Matt Damon.  This one picks up events before the end of the last Damon one and uses that as kind of an envelope to take story in another direction which was kind of interesting.  Renner continues his exceptionally strong series of performances in the lead role. The biggest surprise for me was the appearance of Rachel Weisz who was almost unrecognizable as the female lead. I don’t know if she’s gone under the knife or is just evolving as she gets older but she’s one of my favorite actresses and like I said, I almost didn’t recognize her. She’s still really hot and delivered her usual superb performance. The action sequences were intense and lived up to their Bourne predecessors which made watching these movies almost like being on a roller coaster. My only problem with the movie was that it seemed to be only half a story. Obviously the studio is gearing up for a sequel but they didn’t really finish up the plot for the first movie and that’s kind of cheating. The three very effective movies with the first Bourne trilogy achieved this without stooping to doing this so I was a little disappointed in that; still it was a great movie that I thoroughly enjoyed.  The best part of the movie was the intelligence.  It wasn’t all action scenes but had a reason for everything that happened in a well written plot.  Norton is such a great bad guy – I get the impression he must be some kind of A-hole in person or is just an incredibly gifted actor. 
MVP:  Renner as Aaron Cross ably picks up the Bourne mojo of a skilled assassin with a heart

No comments:

Post a Comment