Thursday, February 16, 2012

Music Man


Actors: Robert Preston, Shirley Jones, Buddy Hackett, Hermione Gingold, Paul Ford, Ron Howard
Rating; 6 out of 10, a timeless classic that I remembered fondly from my youth, especially because it was one of my mother's favorite musicals. I bought this as a fling when I was ordering something else from Amazon. I clearly remember being inspired by the ending scene when Preston leads out the huge marching band - just thinking it was so cool. If you read my other blog you know I love parades - maybe it started then. I was a little disappointed that the scene doesn’t play as well for me now - it just didn't have the emotional punch I remembered. Maybe I grew up but I still love that song. Watching it on blu ray you can see some the really extravagant makeup they used on Preston to make him seem younger. Preston is one of my favorite actors but he seemed to almost be walking through this - which is really his signature role. I had forgotten how devastatingly beautiful Jones was and what a great singing voice she has. This movie seems a little hokey now but it is a great example of the bygone era of Hollywood musicals. It was funny to see Ron Howard as a lisping six year old.
MVP: Jones is the best thing about this movie as Marion the Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment