Sunday, February 19, 2012

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed - Hammer Films

Actors:  Peter Cushing, Freddie Jones, Veronica Carlson, Simon Ward, Thorley Walters
Rating:  7 out of 10, the baron is back, somehow surviving the guillotine from the first movie.  He's in England where he blackmails a young doctor and his fiance into helping him with the first brain transplant ever.  He smuggles an old colleague out of a mental institute and cures him by transplanting his brain.  There is of course multiple side stories going on but this really is one of the best of the Hammer films in terms of quality.  The story moves right along and the acting is superb.  Carlson was a knockout in her day and could also act.  Both Jones and Ward went on to have distinguished acting careers.  I couldn't remember this from my youth, I think it scared me so much that I walked out after the first killing; but I found myself drawn into the plot and caring about the what was happening - a good, solid movie.  There is a completely unnecessary rape scene and no monster this time.  At the end we have the baron getting his comeuppance from his former colleague who goes around with a huge scar around the top of his bald head and who unsuccessfully tried to convince his wife who he was.
MVP:  Jones actually lends a sympathetic air as the ill fated Professor Richter

No comments:

Post a Comment