Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Drive Angry

Actors:  Nicholas Cage, Amber Heard, William Fichtner, Billy Burke, David Morse
Rating:  8 out of 10, I absolutely loved this movie when it first came out but last night, when I was watching it for this review, it struck me as a lot more silly than I remembered, probably because of the mood I was in.  I still love the movie as a straight good versus evil but I like the shading of the evil part.  You have a good man who turns out to be a flawed guy who escapes from hell to save his granddaughter.  Cage, once again, struggles with the physicality part because he is such a wimpy looking guy. He is however such a good actor that he is believable.  Heard is smoking hot no matter what her real life inclinations might be and she can act, obviously.  There are a lot of little background themes that I liked, such as Cage struggling with new technology that has arrived since he last "died". (see the movie and that last comment will make sense)  It's a great observation of just how fast technology is sweeping over us.  This movie was marketed as a big 3-D adventure and there are obvious shots in the movie that are in only to highlight that technology - I hate that. Fichtner is fabulous as a well dressed demon sent to bring Cage back.  I just loved the way he interacted with people who had no idea who they were dealing with.  This movie is camp taken to another whole level - I mean a massive gun fight taking place while the hero is in the middle of having sex and there is no interuptus - it is so funny.  I really liked this movie even though it is at times incredibly silly.  It has everything a guy's movie should have:  violence, sex, hot women, and a redemptive hero; what's not to like.
MVP:  Fichtner as the Accountant a really well dressed and dangerous minion of hell

No comments:

Post a Comment