Saturday, December 17, 2011

Scott Pilgrim Versus the World

Actors:  Michael Cera, Ellen Wong, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Brandon Routh, Chris Evans, Jason Schwartzman
Rating:  8 out of 10, I didn’t know what to make of this movie when it first came out and didn’t even bother to see it in the theater.  Both of my kids recommended it though, knowing that I would like it; they know me.  The movie is apparently permeated with video game references which went totally over my head as a member of the pre-video game generation.  Even with that I loved the edgy techniques the movie makers used with sound effects and totally random characters.  Those characters made the movie.  The semi supportive sister, the crazed girl with a thousand jobs, the gay roommate, the high school girlfriend more than made up for the totally unlikable lead.  Cera plays his normal geek to perfection but the supporting actors are what makes this movie great.  I also loved the random insertion of major actors in small roles.  I felt almost guilty about it but I loved the movie.
MVP:  Co winners – Ellen Wong as the dynamic Knives Chao and Keiran Culkin as Wallace Wells the totally inappropriate roommate

No comments:

Post a Comment