Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Gone With the Wind

Actors: Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Leslie Howard, Olivia de Havilland 
Rating:  7 out of 10, this was "hands down" my mother's absolute favorite movie of all time.  I remember seeing it as a kid and enjoying it immensely.  I did enjoy watching it again but I did not realize just how much a "chick flick" this movie really is.  I guess it's testimony to how much stronger woman are allowed to be nowadays compared to the late 1930's.  I found myself actually loathing Vivien Leigh and her portrayal although it is generally regarded as one of the greatest of all times in the movies.  I just don't see that.  On the other hand, Clark Gable dominates in every scene he is in, showing power, nuance, and great emotion.  He was every bit the mega movie star and I think his performance stands up much better than Leigh's does.  I cannot think of another movie star that can match his presence.  By the end of the movie I was tired of the simpering Scarlett and the pathetic Ashley, but I guess that means the actors were convincing.  This is a great movie, just not any where near my favorite.
MVP:  Gable as Rhett Butler totally dominates this movie

No comments:

Post a Comment