Thursday, December 29, 2011

Red Riding Hood


Actors:  Amanda Seyfried, Julie Christie, Gary Oldman, Billy Burke, Shiloh Fernandez, Virginia Madsen, Max Irons, Lukas Haas
Rating:  3 out of 10, I was really looking forward to this movie when I first saw the previews.  I thought it had a chance to be something special.  I missed it at the theater and bought it, unseen, when it came out on blu ray.  Before I saw it I told my son and he laughingly told me that I would hate it.  Boy was he right!  This is a terrible movie.  There is a great cast and Seyfried, Christie, and Oldman deliver but the rest were terrible, bordering on despicable.  The two young male leads could not have been worse, especially Fernandez, with Irons almost as bad.  It’s hard to believe he’s Jeremy Irons’ kid – apparently acting doesn’t breed true.  Neither was believable and seemed to be posturing for the entire movie without actually bothering to act.  The director is most likely to blame for this disaster as he/she seems to go for “cool” camera shots instead of noticing if the cast is actually acting or not.  I get the impression this movie was made for prepubescent teenage girls, I don’t have that t-shirt.  There is nothing to recommend this movie – it just flat stinks.
MVP:  Seyfried, as always, is solid as Valerie, the female lead surrounded by apocalyptic level incompetence

No comments:

Post a Comment