Monday, November 14, 2011

Star Trek the Motion Picture

Actors:  William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, James Doohan, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols, Persis Khambatta, Steven Collins, Deforrest Kelly
Rating:  6 out of 10, I was so excited when this movie was announced.  I was a huge closet “trekkie” and even wrote a letter to Paramount while I was in college encouraging them to re-make the series that I loved so much as a child.  Ten years after the series was cancelled this movie came out and I was so disappointed.  The core of the series and all great science fiction are the relationships not the technology.  Watching this again I was reminded why I was so disappointed.  There were long, really long special effects shots that completely stopped the plot in its tracks.  There are 45 wasted minutes in this movie.  You get rare glimpses of what made the series so great – the interplay between the core characters.  Khambatta is extremely interesting as the bald android but Collins badly over acts.  Overall – a huge dud that was redeemed in later movies, especially the next one which got back to the basics.
MVP:  Shatner, as James Tiberius Kirk, the ultimate sci fi hero, with Khambatta as Ilea a close second

No comments:

Post a Comment