Friday, September 14, 2012

The Raid: Redemption

Actors:  Iko Uwais, Joe Taslim, Donny Alamsyah, Yayan Ruhian, Pierre Gruno
Rating:  8 out of 10, this was another Netflix rental that I checked out because I’d heard some really good things on some of the nerd sites I wander through.  It is the first Indonesian film I can remember seeing and it was awesome.  I watched it with sub-titles which didn’t really matter because you watch this movie for the action which was non-stop.  A SWAT team is led into the apartment building fortress of a crime lord on false pretenses and a young (and very deadly) cop (Uwais) is one of the few survivors trying to fight his way out.  The plot was paper thin but that’s okay because the fight scenes more than make up for that.  It was obvious that Uwais and the other actors were doing the fight scenes themselves and the brutal hand to hand fights were taken to a level I’ve never seen on film before.  I guess this is some form of Indonesian martial arts but it reminded me of Snake Plisken for some reason; which is a huge compliment.  The action was extremely well choreographed and filmed.  The toughest thing about a movie like this is to keep the viewer interested in repetitive fight scenes and this movie achieves it by making you care about Uwais, a tribute to his skill as not only a fighter but an actor.  I really liked this movie, definitely not a date movie (my wife walked out after the seventeenth knifing) but a real guys flick.  I discovered afterwards I could have watched it with English dubbed in, glad I didn’t.
MVP:  Iko Uwais is very memorable as the lead as last policeman standing - Rama

No comments:

Post a Comment