Sunday, September 30, 2012

Get The Gringo

Actors:  Mel Gibson, Kevin Hernandez, Peter Stormare, Peter Gerety, Dolores Heredia
Rating:  7 out of 10, a Netflix rental that I hadn’t heard anything about but it had Gibson, still serving his exile from Hollywood main stream, so I figured I would give it a chance.  I’m very glad I did because despite some very gritty edges this was very entertaining.  For all of us who wondered whatever happened to Gibson’s character Porter in the Payback movie – this provides a reasonable answer.  Gibson plays a career criminal who finds himself locked up in a depraved Mexican prison and he ends up playing all sides against each other to achieve his own ends.  He befriends a young Mexican boy serving time in the prison with his mother.  Gibson looks very washed out but I think that’s by choice and it plays well with his character.  The young actor playing the boy, Hernandez, is also extremely good and more than holds his own in his scenes with Gibson.  Whatever else Gibson may be guilty of he can still make a very entertaining action movie.
MVP:  Hernandez as the kid has real screen presence

No comments:

Post a Comment