Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cabin in the Woods

Actors:  Kristin Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Fran Kranz, Anna Hutchinson, Jesse Williams, Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford, Sigourney Weaver
Rating:  10 out of 10, probably my favorite movie of the year so far and more so because it surprised me so much, something I did not think possible in the horror movie genre.  That is because this really isn’t a straight horror movie but a mix of horror, drama, comedy, and definitely satire.  How it was possible to generate a new angle on the slasher horror movie just amazed me. The cast was smart and the script was incredibly funny and intelligent.  Hemsworth continues his strong series of roles but the real star is Kranz who is the total slacker who emerges as the hero.  I think some of the writers identified with him and saw their chance to make him transcendent; it totally works; as does the entire movie.  The funniest bits are left to Jenkins and Whitford as civil servants with the future of the world hanging in the balance.  Whitford has the best line in the movie and it is simply, “C’mon!”  There were some subtle odes to past horror movies like the cabin itself was a replica of the one from The Evil Dead. I cannot say enough good things about this movie.  It was still macabre but had so many truly funny moments. I really can’t say too much about it because it will ruin some of the delicious surprises offered and I do want you to go see it. It’s such a rare opportunity when a movie can combine two seemingly opposite genres such as comedy and horror so successfully – go see this movie.  I tried to get my wife to watch it with me but she didn’t even last until the first decapitation, so it goes. 
MVP:  Kranz as Marty the stoned out slacker who saves the girl if not the world
Funny Guys

No comments:

Post a Comment