Monday, June 4, 2012

One for the Money

Actors:  Katherine Heigl, Debbie Reynolds, Jason O’Mara, Daniel Sunjata, John Leguizamo
Rating:  5 out of 10, I l let my wife rate this one since she was responsible for me having to sit through it again.  I saw this when it came out in the theater and was similarly unimpressed at that time.  My wife was out of country so she didn’t see it but had seen the previews, which, in truth, did seem fairly funny.  She has been badgering me for weeks about why this was not on our Netflix list despite me warning her that it wasn’t very good.  I finally succumbed to her entreaties and my warnings were borne out.  She admitted that I was right (I basked in this rare approbation).  While Heigl is a very attractive actress, she just wasn’t right for this role.  She looked like a California girl trying to play a Jersey girl – too much of a stretch for her.  She is very likable but definitely not believable.  I know they threw in a shower scene just to get guys in the seats but even that wasn’t memorable.  There were moments that made me laugh but too many that made me cringe.  For an obvious chick flick, the best parts were for men, Sunjata was great as Ranger, Heigl's bounty hunter muse and O'Mara had most of the best lines as the object of Heigl's hunting.  Definitely a pass on this movie, I keep waiting for Heigl to land a movie role where she can tap into her undeniable charisma and be believable at the same time.  I really want to like her but she hasn’t got there yet.  This was obviously set up as the first in a series but thankfully I think it ends here.  Hey, at least it afforded me the rare opportunity to have my wife acknowledge I was right about something.
MVP:  O’Mara, an Irish actor, as Joe Morelli, a New Jersey cop was totally believable

No comments:

Post a Comment