Thursday, May 3, 2012

Young Adult

Actors:  Charlize Theron, Patrick Wilson, Oswalt Patton, Elizabeth Reasor
Rating:  6 out of 10, I missed this when it came out in theaters and really looked forward to it when it appeared on my Netflix list.  I really liked the previous efforts of the writer, Diablo Cody, so I guess I should have been set up for disappointment which I certainly was.  It was one of those movies where the trailer contained all the funny parts which were actually funnier in the trailer than when you saw them in the context of the movie.  Theron is very, very good but her character is so utterly irredeemable that there is nothing whatsoever sympathetic about her.  You hope she’s on an arc to a better place after her meltdown at the house of her high school sweetheart but then she meets another enabler and achieves nothing.  I think the problem is that Theron is the kind of actress that you want to root for and you just can’t here.  That may be why she chose this part and the one where she portrayed Aileen Wornos, to try to escape that likability.  The only problem here was that the entire movie falls victim as totally unlikable.  I liked that they show the illusion of Theron’s character’s spectacular good looks as a facade that required a lot of prep.  I also like the message that talent (even though just a modicum), good looks, and charisma don’t necessarily make you a nice person.  We get enough of that in real life that getting preached about it as entertainment is a waste of time.  I am definitely not buying this one.
MVP:  Theron luminously evil and totally oblivious as Mavis Gary trying to recapture the lost love of her high school years and missing all the clues to a better life

No comments:

Post a Comment