Monday, May 7, 2012

Dream House

Actors:  Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, Marton Csokas, Elias Koteas
Rating:  6 out of 10, I missed this when it came out in theaters but added it to my Netflix list.  It’s a psychological thriller that tries to get too cute and misses partly from being too predictable.  I knew coming in what the twist was because they revealed that in the trailers and it happens only halfway through the movie.  I think if they had done a better job of keeping the secret of who Craig’s character actually was then it would have been a much better picture.  I found myself looking for clues about the real versus fantasy world precisely because I knew what the secret was – poor decision to reveal this ahead of time.  The cast is top notch and all seemed to have been truly engaged in this film.  Craig is an interesting actor and does a superb job of switching between successful business man and mental patient.  He did seem to struggle with his American accent at times, none of the others did.   Csokas always makes a great villain and he steals every scene he’s in with the barely concealed rage of a divorced control freak.  I kind of liked this movie but found it too distracting to truly enjoy, another definite non-purchase.
MVP:  Csokas as Jack Patterson, the raging sociopath

No comments:

Post a Comment