Saturday, March 5, 2016

Spectre

Actors: Daniel Craig, Christophe Waltz, Lea Sedoux, Ralph Fiennes, Monica Bellucci, Naomie Harris, Ben Whishaw, Dave Bautista, Andrew Scott
Rating: 8 out of 10, I’d heard dire things about Spectre but I really enjoyed this latest 007 outing. When I heard Sam Mendes was directing Skyfall I was concerned he would go all artsy and abandon the time tested Bond formula for success. I was wrong as Skyfall was fantastic. He was apparently emboldened by his success there because there were several elements to Spectre which I found annoying. One of the signature aspects of a Bond film are the exotic locales but Mendes had the background out of focus. A lot of the movie was out of focus and blurry – I assumed intentionally. He also used one of the most irritating techniques in modern filmmaking (something I thought was abandoned in the 1980s) – using dust rising from most interior scenes. All this being said and the complete lack of chemistry between Bond and the leading lady I really liked the movie. A fantastic opening sequence in Mexico was followed with an engaging plot as Bond walked the clues back to head of a secret organization bent on world domination. Along the way there were constant odes to prior incarnations of 007 ranging as far back as Dr. No and From Russia with Love to more modern versions. I’m kind of a nut about James Bond so I relished this aspect. The more I thought of it though is seemed like a sendoff salute. I’ve heard rumors that Daniel Craig is giving up his Walther but I hope Bond will return.

MVP: Craig in maybe his last outing as Sir James

No comments:

Post a Comment