Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Les Miserables

Actors:  Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Sacha Baron Cohen, Helena Bonham Carter, Eddie Redmayne, Samantha Barks
Rating:  7 out of 10, My daughter rightfully warned me away from this movie when it was showing in the cinemas.  I took a chance and saw it last night on Netflix.  An amazing movie but my daughter was correct.  Musicals are a reach for me, much like Russell Crowe’s singing voice.  There is a very good 90 minute movie hiding in this mess though.  Singing the entire dialogue was a huge mistake as was the choice of non-singing actors for some of the biggest roles, yes Maximus I’m talking about you. That error does not extend to Hathaway who was superb in the short time she was on screen – totally understand the Oscar now.  Some astounding set pieces but overall seemed overblown and a tad pretentious – oh yeah – it was set in France.    
MVP:  Hathaway as the doomed Fantine

No comments:

Post a Comment