Friday, June 21, 2013

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Actors:  Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, Famke Janssen, Pihla Viitala, Peter Stormare
Rating:  8 out of 10, I was immensely skeptical when I first heard about this movie and quickly classified it as a reach almost as bad as Abe the Vampire Hunter, but I was wrong.  This was all kinds of campy fun. Renner and Arterton had some real chemistry as brother and sister witch hunters and there was a lot of modern vocabulary in the supposed middle aged milieu. The witch hunter’s technique seemed to consist of getting the hell beat out of them by the witch until they could land a lucky shot. Hansel was hampered by diabetes generated from his childhood consumption of the candy house (like I said – campy). The witches led by Famke Janssen were deliciously evil.  I really liked the effort to minimize the use of CGI in favor of makeup and even an animatronic troll.   Check this out if you had dismissed it, as I almost did.
MVP:  Renner as Hansel continues his hot streak of totally likable action dudes

No comments:

Post a Comment