Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Man With the Iron Fists

Actors:  RZA, Rick Yune, Russel Crowe, Lucy Liu, Dave Bautista, Jamie Chung, Cung Le
Rating:  6 out of 10, A real, almost hopeless mess but kind of sneaky fun to watch.  I guess this was RZA’s (whoever the hell he is – rap is anathema to me) passion project and ode to martial arts films.  Unfortunately RZA chose to “act” in this as well which was a big mistake.  I gave this a watch because Tarantino was involved in some murky way.  I almost gave it up and then Russell Crowe, of all people, showed up and started to just chew up scenery.  There were a couple of other big stars in very minor roles which is always kind of cool.  You could see Maximus just having a ball with the genre, not to mention just tearing up a house of ill repute run by Lucy Liu.  I’m still trying to figure out why the sex and bath tub scenes had fully clothed women, I mean there are over a billion Chinese – so they know better.  Real chaos but almost mesmerizingly so.
MVP:  Yune as Zen Yi, the X-Blade (I’m not kidding)

No comments:

Post a Comment