Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Sessions

Actors:  John Hawkes, Helen Hunt, William J Macy, Moon Bloodgood
Rating:  8 out of 10, I got to be honest with you, I saw this movie only because I heard the fabulous Ms. Hunt indulged in some pretty extensive nudity within.  I’m not proud of it but there it is and there it certainly was.  It’s a shame this is what the movie is famous for because it hides the fact this is an incredibly funny, heartfelt movie.  John Hawkes is quietly heroic as the disabled man trying to  lose his virginity and lifting the lives of those around him through the effort. The nudity is there, evidenced by my wife’s squawks as we watched it together, but it’s almost clinical (almost).  The scenes between Hawkes and Macy, who plays a Catholic priest, are priceless for the understated humor that permeates their exchanges.  In the end this is a story about the importance of loving life no matter what obstacles you face – not a bad message.  I left the film with a great deal of admiration for the courage and wit of Mark O’Brian on who’s life this was based. 
MVP:  Hawkes as the valiant Mark O’Brian

1 comment:

  1. Did Mom cry during this movie? Jaime and I were crying as the lights came up at the end. Really heartwarming movie!

    ReplyDelete