Thursday, January 31, 2013

Silent Runing

Actors:  Bruce Dern, Ron Rifkin, Jesse Vint, Cliff Potts
Rating: 6 out of 10, I asked for this movie because I remembered a soaring sci fi movie from the seventies with some truly memorable music and camera shots of space ships.  I held off watching it until I had the new, larger TV to watch it on.  I was left with the impression that my memory must really starting to go because the music was not that memorable and the space ships were obvious models. This is the story of the last forests remaining being stored in massive domes on space ships.  The order comes for the crews to jettison and destroy the forests so the ships can be put to better use.  Dern, as a crazed ecologist, murders his fellow crew member and takes off with the ship to prevent the destruction of his beloved forest.  He’s left with three miniature robots as his lone companions.  This really isn’t a bad story and Dern can play crazy with the best but the story has not aged well and the camera shots don’t soar very much.  Maybe I just need to watch this when I’m in a better mood because this was a disappointment.      
MVP:  Dern as the truly disturbed Freeman Lowell

No comments:

Post a Comment