Monday, January 28, 2013

Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Actors:  Paul Mantee, Adam West, Victor Lundin
Rating:  8 out of 10, A rediscovered treasure from my mis-spent youth haunting Saturday matinees at the Scenic Theater.  Prior to Christmas I was wandering through Amazon.com and their incredibly insightful recommendation algorithm which suggested I might like this movie; Christmas morning it dutifully appeared under the tree.  I was rocked because this was one of my absolute favorite sci-fi movies from the 1960s and I couldn’t believe I didn’t already have it.  The movie holds up incredibly well although the scientific guesses as to the Mars atmosphere were wildly inaccurate and the special effects are cheesy by today’s standards.  Mantee plays an astronaut who is stranded alone on Mars with only a monkey for company.  He faces and meets a number challenges ranging from oxygen food, water, shelter, and company. He solves all of his problems along with a faithful companion supplied by some marauding alien miners.  This movie still has the ability to re-awaken the wonder of space travel that was so rampant in the early 1960s.    
MVP:  Mantee as the resourceful Commander Kit Draper

No comments:

Post a Comment