Friday, April 27, 2012

Tree of Life

Actors:  Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, Jessica Chastain
Rating:  7 out of 10, As with all of Terrence Malick’s work this movie was visually stunning.  The great camera shots just keep coming, even if the viewer is struggling to understand what exactly is going on.  My daughter warned me away from this movie but I put it on my Netflix queue just to see what all the talk was about.  It was funny because my wife had seen the end of the movie on cable TV and was trying to figure out what was going on and looked forward to seeing the whole movie.  She was just as confused after seeing the whole thing.  It seemed a little pretentious and really self-absorbed – like Malick doesn’t really care if the viewer likes or understands just as long it looks great.  In that respect it is really superficial.  On the other hand it is a great stab at telling a very deep story from the widest perspective possible, starting with the dawn of life on earth.  Pitt and Chastain are very good representing polar opposite approaches to life.  I try to connect with the people in story of the movie and that is nearly impossible here, mainly due to the non-linear nature of the story.  In the end you’re left a little frustrated but enriched with the spectacular camera shots.  I think it would have helped if it was a little clearer which of the sons Penn portrayed.  I’m glad I watched this movie, it stays with you but I definitely won't buy it or watch it again.
MVP:  Pitt as the father, Mr O’Brien struggling as a 1950s father and engineer who wishes he’d followed his dream on being a musician

1 comment:

  1. I would have given this movie a 2! I think it's probably more comfortable to take in at home; seeing it at a theater was torture! When I turned around to see the audience half of them were asleep! And I thought Penn was completely out of place in the movie.

    ReplyDelete