Friday, April 20, 2012

The Double

Actors:  Richard Gere, Topher Grace, Odette Yustman, Martin Sheen, Stephen Moyer
Rating:  5 out of 10, This was a Netflix watch and something I definitely will not buy.  I don’t remember this in theaters and I can understand why it went straight to DVD – it just isn’t that good.  It has some very good moments and Gere has his as well – just not enough.  Grace who was very good in Predators in shedding his 70’s Show personae takes a huge step backwards here.  He was totally unbelievable as an obnoxious FBI agent.  He had no gravitas whatsoever and he needed some.  The plot was not confusing at all and that may be part of the problem – no surprises when they were going for some.  I think the director is in love with Washington DC because there are lots of lingering shots of the DC landscape.  This was interesting for me because I used to run, actually jog, through many of these places when I worked at the Pentagon.  Gere can do controlled ferocity really well, see Internal Affairs, but he didn’t tap into any of that here and it was needed.  I can’t say this is even a near miss, just not a very good movie which is a shame considering a very strong cast. 
MVP:  Steven Moyer as the imprisoned assassin Brutus was truly the best thing about the movie, very menacing

No comments:

Post a Comment