Monday, March 6, 2017

Vertigo

Actors: James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes, Tom Helmore, Henry Jones, Ellen Corby
Rating: 10 out of 10, I saw this ages ago and while memorable it didn’t really register with me. Seeing it again in my march through some old movies I realized what a true masterpiece it is. Since the earlier viewing I’ve visited and fallen in love with San Francisco several times which certainly helped as the city is a true supporting character in this very Hitchcockian (obviously) plot. Sir Alfred serves up a very involved murder which with the passage of time may seem quaint at times but still keeps viewer riveted. Jimmy Stewart seemingly always played a likable character (yesteryear’s Tom Hanks) but he’s given a very flawed hero to play here. This truly is Hitchcock’s masterpiece and it remains one of the best ever. Oh and Kim Novak was an absolute knockout.

MVP: Stewart as the height challenged "Scottie" Ferguson

No comments:

Post a Comment