Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Devil’s Brigade

Actors: William Holden, Cliff Robertson, Vince Edwards, Andrew Prine, Jeremy Slate, Claude Akins, Jack Watson, Richard Jaeckel, Bill Fletcher, Richard Dawson
Rating: 8 out of 10, A favorite movie from my early years recounting, with severe artistic license I later learned, the exploits of a joint US/Canadian special forces unit in World War 2. While a bit cliché ridden there’s an excellent story with extremely capable actors led by William Holden, one of my favorites from old time Hollywood. The musical score is equally impressive and my love of bagpipes may have been born when I first saw the scene of the Canadians marching into camp. The movie has held up well over the years, a neat snapshot back into 1960s film making.    

MVP: Holden as Colonel Frederick, the devil himself 

No comments:

Post a Comment