Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Ghostbusters

Actors: Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, Chris Hemsworth.
Rating: 8 out of 10, I was a little leery of, given my 1980s pedigree when the first movie captured a much younger version of myself. I tried to not be misogynistic when I heard they were going with an all-female cast but it was hard to imagine a female Peter Venkman. I shouldn’t have worried because this new take is hilarious, helped by state of the art special effects, but more so by an insidiously funny script and really talented actresses. Wiig and McCarthy continue their strong run in female centric comedies but this really wasn’t that at all. It was just a very funny movie using an almost cine-sacred concept and taking it in a new direction. There were some very cleverly inserted homages to the original movie, including some welcome cameos and a Spengler statue. I guess what I’m trying to say is that it is possible to love both the 1984 version and this new one, because I did, despite the annoying group of too young children who took up residence directly behind me.
MVP: McKinnon as Jillian, taking up the Spengler flag of wierd genius

No comments:

Post a Comment