Thursday, October 30, 2014

Space Balls

Actors:  Mel Brooks, John Candy, Bill Pullman, Daphne Zuniga, Rick Moranis

Rating:  7 out of 10, One of the few Brooks’ movies I had not seen.  I was/am a huge Star Wars nerd so I thought it would be disrespectful to enjoy this parody aimed straight at that beloved movie. In typical Brooks fashion he completely flays all the lofty concepts and has a really good time doing it, Yogurt as the pint sized peddler of the power of “the Schwartz” is just one example of the hijinks.  Brooks went very ethnic in this going a little over the top with all the Jewish jokes but that’s what Mel does.  The overt attempts to merchandise the film in the midst of making it also hit home.  Bittersweet to see John Candy again – it made me realize how much I missed Mr. Mambo.  The film is definitely dated but it still elicited a number of surprise laughs that my nerd side couldn’t suppress.

MVP:  Candy as Barf the Mawg wookie stand in

No comments:

Post a Comment