Monday, July 8, 2013

Conan the Barbarian

Actors:  Jason Momoa, Stephen Lang, Rachel Nichols, Ron Perlman, Rose McGowan
Rating:  8 out of 10, I initially really didn’t like this remake of one of my favorite movie characters.  I thought Milius captured the true spirit of Conan in his 1980’s version, mainly by limiting Arnold to about seventeen words in the entire movie.  The stark, lone, invincible warrior I read about growing up was there.  I didn’t give this one a chance when it first came out because of that bias but my son encouraged me to see it again and he was right.  It’s a well done action movie and Momoa can actually speak which is probably what threw me off.  Nichols is no Sandahl Bergman (whatever happened to her) as the heroine but Lang and an especially creepy McGowan make great villains.   
MVP:  Perlman as Conan’s father is his usual, epic, understated awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment