Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Other Guys

Actors:  Will Farrell, Mark Walberg, Michael Keaton, Ray Stevenson, Dwayne Johnson, Samuel L. Jackson. Eva Mendes
Rating:  8 out of 10, this was a movie I had avoided seeing because I thought it was another lame rip off like so many “parody” films that try to capture the magic of Airplane or the Naked Gun (when it was still funny).  My son insisted I borrow his copy of the movie and I snuck in a viewing (my wife hates Will Ferrell for some unknown reason).  I was so glad he had me watch this because this is Ferrell back in his Anchorman and Talladega Knights realm where he is so funny.  This film really works and is so funny because the actors (great cast) play the insanity straight.  Walberg plays an able foil to Ferrell’s understated accountant type and is showing a flair for comedy.  There are several gags within gags such as a truly heroic Prius and Ferrell’s impossibly hot wife, Eva Mendes.  The small parts played by Johnson and Jackson as the epically super cops had me literally rolling on the floor.  The plot is only semi-important and mildly incoherent, especially the last quarter but this movie is about getting as many jokes onto the screen as possible, and that’s not a bad thing.  A nice little comedy that works because of the acting.
MVP:  Ferrell, as Detective Gamble, playing the understated psycho only as he can

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you hadn't seen this before, Dad! So funny.

    ReplyDelete