Monday, March 26, 2012

Contagion

Actors:  Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Elliott Gould, Marion Cotilliard, Lawrence Fishburne, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Bryan Cranston, Sanaa Latham, Jennifer Ehle
Rating:  6 out of 10, a truly amazing cast which proves there can be too much of a good thing.  I was really looking forward to seeing this when I first saw the previews, a Soderberg movie with a powerhouse cast but for some reason missed it.  I finally saw it this weekend as a Netflix rental and was severely under-impressed.  This movie is just all over the place.  I know what he was aiming for but his editor let him down here.  Just as the audience is forming attachment to a story line and the characters we’re whisked off to some other part of the story.  The story itself doesn’t make a lot of sense as on the one hand it shows society completely breaking down and at the same time continuing to function.  I guess the worst part of the movie was the pessimistic tone, believing so little in the human spirit when confronted with such a devastating disease.  I know we’d do better.  I do know I’m going to wash my hands more after seeing this movie, my wife will be happier about that.  I am definitely not adding this to my library.
MVP:  Ehle, a very interesting actress, shines in a small part as Dr Ally Hextall, the film’s savior

No comments:

Post a Comment